Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Anthem

I read Anthem, by Ayn Rand today. It was ok, but it was also sort of shite. In the words of Jim Callahan (of Phenomenon fame), I think Ayn Rand is something of "ideological bigot." I do find the individuality thing, and the self, and freedom, quite appealing - but I do think there is room there for empathy, and a sense of "We"-ness (Not to mention, self-interest tends not to be rational, and the Ego has wreaked plenty of havoc on others). I much prefer "Harrison Bergeron"(sp?), We, 1984, and Brave New World. But still, it was pretty good - and, as an added bonus, I now know exactly where one of the quotes from Arthur's profile comes from.

Anyway. I like reading, I should do it more often. I read Anthem in a few hours, while hanging out at Starbucks(fitting, I know). I also started to read the Crying of Lot 49, which I am unsure about. It seems like it might be good, but it took a while to get into the rhythm of the writing. There was a weird sex scene.

I'm not very excited to go to school tomorrow.

No comments: